Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The 80 / 20 Rule of Business

I had an interesting e-mail this morning from someone who had signed up to my free photography tips. He had a problem with the fact I had sent an e-mail advertising my "shoot to sell course". The course is designed to help photographers who want to learn how to make money from photography as a business. It is personalised and reveals many of the methods I use every day.

It is common knowledge in business that 80% of trade will come from 20% of your clients, if you can concentrate on those 20% your business will benefit. I have no problem with the other 80% who like to receive my free tips, I wrote them to help people to take better photographs and I have received many thank yous from all over the world.

However when one of the 80% decide to complain about the stuff I provide for nothing, I act quickly (apprentice style) and fire them. I simply apologise and then delete them from the free tips ensuring they cannot sign up again. Please if you don't like the free photography tips I send then simply unsubscribe.

On the contrary here's a blog posting from someone else (in the beautiful town of Vancouver) who has a different opinion about the same information.

The overall lesson, you can't please everyone all the time so simply remove the ones who aren't happy from your business and let them bother someone else.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this story, Martin. It's so positive - full of enthusiasm, and good advice too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

This space looks too empty, come on say something, you know you want to