Monday, October 02, 2006

My New Nikon

Ok so i've moved to the dark side of photography!! About time I hear you say. Lets first say that in a way its something that has been half forced onto me and i'm not sure yet it has been the right move. Only time will tell. For the time being my F5 and other film cameras will still feaure heavily in my work.

So why change? Well part of the reason is the upcoming training course this Sunday. On previous courses i've always hired a D2x so students can see the images taken on the day. This time I decided the fact that the D2x has been out a while and the D2xs has just been launched there was a high chance of picking up a good
second hand body for a fair price. So I check out e bay and sitting there was a Nikon D2x being sold by someone in Colchester (30 mins drive from me). To make a long story short, I bid and win, then drive out and inspect the camera, perfect condition exactly what i'm looking for so payment was made ... job done.

So far I haven't used it in actual work but a couple of things i've discovered from playing, the screen protector (see image) is pathetic. I have no doubt it pops off as soon as the camera is slung around someones kneck to be lost or trodden on. Also when will Nikon make the flash synch cover attach to the camera body!! I have lost count of the amount of those annoying little covers I have lost after using a flash synch lead.

I have no doubt the D2x is a great camera, but for me it's too early to judge. It has a hard act to follow as I believe the F5 is probably the best 35mm camera ever made ....... the jurys out.

On anopther note I had a long chat with Doug earlier re: the training day this Sunday, It's going to be great and i'm looking forward to meeting everyone who's coming. If you want to check out the details of the training day check out my lifestyle portrait website under the tips section (look for training). i'll add a few pics of the day on here after the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space looks too empty, come on say something, you know you want to