Thursday, June 08, 2006

Advertising - don't bother calling me!!

O.K. so here's the deal, if you are one of the UK's online business directories (of which there are 90 million 100 thousand according to google) . Unless you can tell me how a customer will find your site amongst the 90million + sites that there are and then find me in the 100 or so photographers (that you have taken money from under false pretences) DON'T call me. Whilst we're on the subject the local online directories for my home town (of which Googles says there are 292,000 for Braintree) just because you only take a limited amount of people who you think are of the right caliber (incidentally if you have done that how come you haven't seen any of my work?) from each profession doesn't make it any easier for someone to find you / me in fact technically it's harder. I feel genually sorry for anyone who pays these sites for a link the only thing you are doing is throwing money away. Yes I am listed on a few business directories but I can promise you I haven't paid for any of them.

Lets face it 90,100,000 (UK only) sites before they even come to the photographer section, I'd have better odds of winning the lottery.

If you are in business no matter what it is take a good look at advertising because I promise you one thing 90% of it no longer works! Have you noticed how the T.V. adverts are getting cheaper? Smaller firms now advertising on the T.V? That's because the big boys have realised that nobody watches the adverts (with very few exceptions) and have stopped which in turn forces prices lower and enables smaller firms to step in.

Oh and another thing an even bigger waste of money is newspaper and magazine advertising! Unless it is aimed at your specific market instead of placing adverts just burn the money, it's just as effective, in fact no instead of that send it to me instead.

I feel better now but it's annoying to answer the phone to someone selling advertising when I'm in the middle of something. Let's face it if my marketing wasn't working you wouldn't have found my phone number. I rest my case .....


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space looks too empty, come on say something, you know you want to