Thursday, April 07, 2011

I'm in the Memory Preservation Business

Pin It

I once heard a photographer describe what he did for a living.  Instead of a long winded description of what he did he simply said "I'm in the memory preservation business".  I can't think of a better way of describing what I do, and the importance was brought home to me again this week when I was asked by mother if I could rescue an old photograph of my Nan and Grandad (see above on the right of the image).  Photograph restoration isn't my normal line of work but you can't work in this industry without learning your way around photoshop, so I think the above finished picture turned out ok.  Although I'm torn if I should add a sepia tone just to age the image.

We are constantly reminded of the importance of memory protection after national disasters.  Time after time we see distraught families returning to their destroyed homes and the one thing they bring out of the wreckage are their photographs.  The 50 Inch TV and the Louis Vuitton hand bag are all replaceable, the photographs are not. 

Photographs are one of our only links with the past and our own personal histories.  Whatever you do make sure your memories are protected in the best way you can.  One things for certain, you'll never have another chance to capture today. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space looks too empty, come on say something, you know you want to