Wednesday, December 16, 2009

i Phone 3GS Life Changer

A few days ago my blackberry decided the little ball used to navigate around the menus would no longer work. This caused me problems and rendered my phone unable to carry out anything but making and receiving calls. 3 years ago that would have been all I would have wanted but having been spoiled with instant access to e-mails, and my diary plus a limited web access (about as good as dial up) all of a sudden it was like I'd lost an arm.

So a phone call to my supplier shows that I'm due for a free upgrade. I'd heard the hype of the new i-phone and had a play on one in America last year which I must say impressed me so when it was offered I took it up.

What makes this so much better than anything else I'm aware of is its ability (much like a PC) to download software and personalise it. For example one of my favourite apps i've discovered is imapmyrun. The basics are you press start when you run the phone then logs your route using its built in GPS you press stop when you finish. The i-phone shows you your route tells you how far and fast you've gone and adds any hills etc to its calculations. Not happy with that it then uploads the information to a website (if you choose) where you can track your training efforts over the months. The cost for this .... zero, the app and web site is all free, of course you can upgrade if you wish but if your happy with the basic package (like me) it's fantastic.

Another great trick is it's ability to connect to the net either via 3g or if you're in a wireless network area you get the full broadband effect. Watching TV live (including sky sports) or the various catch up videos all on your phone. Not to mention listening to any radio station in the world (handy if you want to know American Football scores and you live in England).

There are thousands of apps available that suit any hobbies (bird watching, football scores, learn languages etc) and many of them are free. Whilst on my run I tend to listen to books I would like to read but haven't been able to find the time previously, currently I'm listening to this one, which surprise surprise is also free.

Has the i-phone changed my life for the better? Very much so, now all I need is for people to advise me on some of the best apps, don't be shy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space looks too empty, come on say something, you know you want to